Jun 27, 2007

Red ROD

OK. Most of you know by now that I was the unfortunate recipient of a "Red Ring of Death" (Red ROD) on my Xbox 360. This is not to be confused with a "Red Eye." Both are bad, but not everybody has a Red ROD.

I first noticed a problem while owning newbs on GRAW 2. During 4 consecutive matches my box froze. After I powered down and restarted, it seemed to be fine. But, it froze each time shortly after the match was started. So, I threw in Gears of War and had the same results; this time during a cinematic. I then contacted Best Buy to inquire about my product replacement warranty. After I attained the shipping info I decided to start cataloging what I might need to save to a memory card, during this process it freezes. I powered it down thinking that it would restart like it had before when, viola. Red muthafuckin ROD!

I think that this clearly shows that my 360 suffered from an overheating issue, which brought it to a slow agonizing death. I admit, I'm no electronics engineer or anything, but there was clearly an issue with the freezing and the amount of time I was playing. The amount of time I was able to play a match decreased after each time it froze. 5 minutes of play, then 3, then 2, etc...

Nevertheless, I should be back and running by July 4th. Crosses fingers. Just in time for the Army Gaming Championships Tourney. Out team, ONES and ZEROS placed in the top eight of a recent tourney and we hope to improve dramatically over our last showing. This might be hampered by the lack of practice time though. So wish us luck.

No comments: