May 21, 2010

It's a shame... REALLY.

All I want in a social network is to have a place to share events, ideas and information with my "real" friends. Also, to not have to worry about what the company who runs the network does with my information. I'm OK with a company using my info to target ads with information such as age, gender, marital status, hobbies. But, if they grab my friends info, or info from my status updates; I have a real problem with that. My info is obviously valuable, so why don't I have the right to have it used in a matter that I find valuable.

The real problems with social networks are the dumb people who post divisive thoughts. Or, the people who post about their "mafia's" and "farms". Do we REALLY care about peoples thoughts on the power of Christ, and/or prayer? Save it for church. Do we REALLY care about peoples thoughts about how awesome Sarah Pailin is. Aside from being a "MILF" what else is compelling about her? Here's a hint, not everybody agrees with your political beliefs. I REALLY don't care about your shitty virtual Mafia and how many gangsta's you mowed down. I REALLY don't care about how many virtual acres you cultivated for you prize pig. Now, if you want to share your thoughts about your real life mafia, then I'm down.

There are hundreds of sites where I could do any of the things that I listed above. The problem is that not enough people that I know really want to go to those sites and I don't want to put up with the garbage on the sites that they are on. Despite my own thoughts about myself, I don't think that many people really give a crap about what I'm doing or what my thoughts are. It's a shame. It's a shame that we don't care more about each others real lives. It's a shame that we don't feel like we can tell others that they are valuable. Why is is so hard to make real connections with the people that we want to share with?

No comments: